About the SARS-CoV-2 Virus and COVID-19
The disease COVID-19 is caused by the SARS-CoV-2 virus.
In approximately 86% of all infected individuals, the course of infection is mild to asymptomatic (Ruiyun Li et al., Science, 2020). However, especially in older people or people with pre-existing conditions, the infection can result in acute respiratory disease or even severe pneumonia.
The early detection of an infection is vital in providing the best care to patients and contact persons and necessary in containing the spread of the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus.
Professional laboratory analysis
Report with ID-/passport data
Test results in approx. 30-35 minutes
The polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test is used to check whether the sample contains genetic material (RNA) of the SARS-CoV-2 virus. According to the Paul Ehrlich Institute, PCR tests are currently the most reliable ones. They even detect the very low viral load present at the beginning and end of an infection. Detection takes place via a throat swab or a saliva sample.
The antigen test verifies the protein of the virus. Generally the antigen test is only significant after several days of infection, because it cannot detect a very low viral load. Therefore, it is considered only as a “snapshot.” Detection takes place via a throat or nasal swab.
Get Tested On Site
CENTOGENE offers antigen and PCR tests at major German Airports and in several shopping centers. Find a Test Center near you, book your coronavirus test and receive the report with your test result online!TEST CENTERS ON SITE
Testing at Home
With the Coronavirus PCR test kit CentoKit-19™ Single or Family you take a throat swab for a Coronavirus PCR test at home or at your workplace. Learn more about your Coronavirus PCR test at home!
Test Offers on Request
On request, CENTOGENE develops individual test concepts and offers testing in kindergartens, schools, universities, public institutions, or at events. Find out more about our test options here.LEARN MORE
Accreditation of SARS-CoV-2 RT-PCR Testing provided by our laboratory partner Dr. Bauer Laboratoriums GmbH
SARS-CoV-2 RT-PCR testing is provided under the responsibility of the physicians at our laboratory partner Dr. Bauer Laboratoriums GmbH, who are using CENTOGENE’s established resources:
- CENTOGENE is CAP and CLIA accredited and ISO 15189 certified. The biorepository is CAP accredited.
- The SARS-CoV-2 RT-PCR test has received Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
- CENTOGENE's laboratories fulfil the EU guidelines for in vitro diagnostics (IVD) adhering to extensive interlaboratory comparison testing.
- External concordance testing by Charité Universitätsmedizin - Berlin, Germany (reference lab according to WHO) has taken place.
- External quality assurance is carried out each quarter at CENTOGENE's laboratories in Frankfurt and Hamburg under the guidelines of INSTAND e.V. for SARS-CoV-2 testing with inactivated positive and negative proband material.
- CENTOGENE's laboratories in Frankfurt and Hamburg are certified participants in the Quality Control for Molecular Diagnostics (QCMD) 2020 SARS-CoV-2 EQA Programme.
Validation process in accordance with the SARS-CoV-2 RT-PCR assay
- Highest reproducibility of results for a viral RNA-based positive control within (intra) runs and between (inter) runs
- Highest reproducibility of negative control QC (negative and no template controls)
- Consistency of results for positive samples as verified by external laboratories
- Highest reproducibility of results over time after sampling (0-72 h)
- Highest reproducibility of positive samples (>98.9%) by using CentoSwab™ up to 72 h at 2-8°C after sampling
- CentoSwab™ is manufactured by our ISO 13485 certified partner RoweMed AG